Today was tough. It was real hard to get through...but we did it. There were lots of tears shed, but, more importantly, there were lots of laughs and stories shared. I spent an amazing day with my family. Though I really wish it was under better and different circumstances, I am very glad we had the family together. I spent time with family I had either never met or hadn't seen in 20+ years.
When one of my uncles got to the house, he asked my dad if we were holding Nana together. Dad said, "It's more like she's holding us together." And that is so true. She freaking amazes me. I listened to her talking today, and she was so.....I don't even know how to explain it. She was telling someone that the day he passed she just cried and cried...until she thought to herself "this isn't doing either him or me any good." She's had her moments, but she's just taking all of this and finding every single positive she can in everything. She told me that she WILL still have anniversaries-that just because Grandpa is gone doesn't mean he's not still her husband-because they were perfect for each other and he'll just be her husband in spirit now. And, here's some free advice from Nana-the secret to a happy, lasting marriage-always say "I love you" before you go to bed, even if you are angry. Grandpa's last words to her were "Goodnight, I love you," and that is something that she will always have in her heart. My Nana is my hero. She has an amazing family, an amazing marriage, and the heart of a lion. I hope I can someday be even half the woman she is.
Though today was so hard, the most important thing I am taking away from it is that I am so blessed to have such a close family. We have our fair share of issues, but what family doesn't? What's important is that was can all pull together when it's needed and that we have each other.
Thank you to everyone that has sent condolences, love, support and prayers. I am also very blessed to have some amazing friends. I appreciate y'all so much!
Make sure you make the most of today. Tell your loved ones that you love them. And let go of the little things...there are so many more important things in life...don't miss out!!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment