Monday, April 23, 2012

PCOS-just some thoughts

Alright.  So this is what I have.  It's PCOS-Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome.  Basically, I have a whole lot of cysts in my ovaries that prevent me from ovulating.  All of my fertility docs have taken one look and said that it's textbook-looking at mine looks like they took the pic straight from the books.  Nice right?

There are a few things that I want to clear up about this.  You can imagine, I've heard it all...

Yes, for some people, losing weight helps.  Ah, but there's a catch.  Having PCOS makes it much more difficult to lose weight.  So you can see, it's a vicious cycle.  Also, one of the most common meds they use, metformin, gives you some serious cravings.  Add a hormone roller coaster and guess what?  It's a lot more difficult to "just say no" to the sweets than you think.  Plus, it's really exciting to walk into a doctor's office and have them tell you that they'll help you, only if you lose weight.  Because apparently people that are overweight aren't allowed to seek treatment for infertility?  

Yes, I have gotten pregnant.  Twice even.  Once in 1999 and once last year.  Both ended in miscarriages.  Are we sure what happened?  No.  We have an idea.  I also have the MTHFR gene mutation.  In a nutshell, my body doesn't absorb folic acid the way it should.  Since folic acid is key in brain stem development, and also crucial in pretty much everything in early pregnancy, that's a problem.  The fix is to take mega-folic acid supplements in addition to prenatal vitamins.  Will it work for me?  I don't know.  If that was the only other issue, it may.  We'll just have to wait and see if I get pregnant again.  There's no guarantee that will happen though.

No, I haven't exhausted all of my options.  The next step would be IVF.  The cost for ONE round of IVF is about $12000.  And my doctor is not only one of the best in the nation, but one of the least expensive.  And there is no guarantee that it will take.  Is it an option?  Maybe.  I'm really hoping that it doesn't come to making that decision.  Would I do anything to get pregnant?  Yes....within our means.  Would you spend $12000 on one lottery ticket and HOPE it works?  

Yes, adoption is still on the table.  But it will stay a possibility for now.  You might think it would be an easy decision, but it's really not.  Adopting a baby is another very expensive venture.  You can adopt from the state, but they very, VERY rarely have babies.  And I really want the experience of having a baby and going through the pregnancy.  

No, I have not tried acupuncture yet.  It is something that I am looking into.  

Here's the bottom line.  There is nothing that is easy about any of this.  Health insurance only covers so much.  On some procedures, like IVF, they don't cover anything.  They don't cover insemination either, which is about $300-$500 bucks each time.  The emotional price is astronomical.  Imagine having your heart broken over and over...I'm not gonna lie, it sucks and it really takes a toll.  There are some days that I'm so emotionally drained I don't want to get out of bed.  

These are hard decisions to make.  I wouldn't wish this on anyone.  But this is my reality, and I'm doing my best to handle it.


3 comments:

lanae said...

You are in my thoughts and prayers

Rebecca Meyer said...

A friend of mine had PCOS and was overweight, she met the criteria for Gastric Bypass. She thought that she would never be able to have a baby due to the PCOS. Well she had the gastric bypass, lost weight and BAM ended up pregnant.

Hang in there Chani! *HUGS*

Denise said...

Chani, I have no advice; cause you don't need it. I have only love and support. If you need a shoulder to lean on or an ear to rant in, you've got one. I have no judgement; cause love has no room for judgement in it. Just know that Ray and I are there for you whatever we can do.